Nearly 300 funds launched during 2017.
These five ETFs stood out thanks to their performance, their innovative methodology or their theme.
iShares Core MSCI International Developed Markets ETF (IDEV)
The fund rolled out in March and had amassed more than $900 million before the end of the year, making it the biggest debut for 2017. Its offering is straight forward: it gives exposure to a large basket of securities from developed foreign nations while charging a small 0.07% expense ratio.
Its launch came right as investors are showing increasing interest to international ETFs. As experts predict a continued focus on overseas markets, the future is bright for IDEV.
First Trust Nasdaq Artificial Intelligence and Robotics ETF (ROBT)
Technically launched in the first few months of 2018, ROBT stood out because there are only three ETFs focused on the artificial intelligence space.
It tracks the Nasdaq CTA Artificial Intelligence and Robotics Index, which itself tracks the performance of companies engaged in the artificial intelligence and robotics segment of the technology, industrial, medical and other sectors. The index is developed by Nasdaq and the Consumer Technology Association.
AI is still in its early days but is slated to change dramatically the ways companies and people operate whether it impacts supply chain management or transporation with self-driving cars.
AI Powered Equity ETF (AIEQ)
This fund is certainly innovative. It uses artificial intelligence technology to select stocks by scanning regulatory filings, news articles, social media posts and traditional financial metrics, to identify undervalued investments.
It launched with $2.5 million in assets and ended the year with more than $70 million.
ETF Industry Exposure & Financial Services ETF (TETF)
Launched in April 2017 by Toroso Investments, the fund gives investors the possibility to access companies driving and participating in the growth of the exchange traded fund industry.
This is not just a growing list of ETF sponsors but also includes other publicly-traded companies that derive revenue from the ETF industry such as index and data companies, trading and custody partners, liquidity providers, and exchanges.
Quincy Jones Streaming Music, Media and Entertainment ETF
Announced in the past year, the ETF named after the famous music producer shows that streaming is clearly here to stay in the US and is also rapidly developing in other less developed parts of the world.
Not launched yet, it will follow the Quincy 100 Index, which is equally weighed among 100 underlying stocks of streaming music and media companies with at least $1 billion in market value such as Apple, SoftBank Group, Netflix and Amazon.
The new fund is being created by Exchange Traded Concepts, which offers ETF-in- a-box options for money managers who want to start new funds.
ETFs – Trending Now
- ETF Investing Strategies 2016Tackle the issues and themes that are likely to be popular in the year ahead. ... read more
- S&P 500 tracking ETF VOO to undergo reverse splitNEW YORK--The popular Vanguard 500 Index Fund VOO, -0.25% is set to undergo a reverse split that will double its share price in an effort ... read more
- ETF inventor Most dies at 90BOSTON (CBS.MW) -- Nathan "Nate" Most, who invented the first U.S. exchange-traded fund and spawned a growing $190 billion industry, died Friday at the age ... read more
- ETF pioneer explains what’s ahead for industry after $4 trillion boomETF pioneer explains what’s ahead for industry after $4 trillion boom ... read more
- Gold miners ETF surges to 19-month high, with most U.S. components doubling in 3 monthsGold miners ETF surges to 19-month high, with most U.S. components doubling in 3 months ... read more
- LYXOR ETF MSCI AC ASIA – PACIFIC EX JAPAN C-EUR | ETF | LYX0AB | FR0010312124 | finanzen.netLYXOR ETF MSCI AC ASIA - PACIFIC EX JAPAN C-EUR | ETF | LYX0AB | FR0010312124 | finanzen.net ... read more
- Bond ETF inflows top $100 billion for 2017It’s first time inflows have broke 12-digit barrier in a calendar year ... read more
- 4 Things To Know Before Trading A Leveraged ETFU.S. ETFs are on pace to have record inflows in 2017. That includes funds dedicated to equities, fixed income, and commodities. And it's easy to ... read more
- REIT vs. REIT ETFREITs hold real estate or mortgage pools and pass income on to shareholders. ... read more
- ETF fee war expands, bringing more pain to active managersPressure on ‘smart beta’ fees is credit negative: Moody’s ... read more
- ETF volumes go near mute levels as volatility drops to near-record lowsThe biggest ETF had its lowest monthly volume in more than 12 years in July ... read more
- This Exists: A Rhodium ETFThis Exists: A Rhodium ETF ... read more
- The market’s first marijuana-themed ETF to start trading on WednesdayThe market’s first marijuana-themed ETF to start trading on Wednesday ... read more
- This week’s Mutual Funds and ETF storiesDon’t miss these top money and investing features: ... read more
- Fidelity expands ETF partnership with BlackRockBOSTON (Reuters) - Fidelity Investments has expanded its 3-year-old partnership with BlackRock Inc (BLK.N) to offer its customers free trading of more exchange-traded funds, as ... read more
- Keep an eye on the $4 trillion ETF industry — it could start the next financial crisisKeep an eye on the $4 trillion ETF industry — it could start the next financial crisis ... read more
- New dividend ETF has yield appealNEW YORK (MarketWatch) — A new ETF emphasizing dividends has joined a glut of competitors, but this one may have an advantage or two. ... read more
- How to Choose a Good ETFAn exchange-traded fund, or ETF, is as basket of stocks or bonds, like a mutual fund, that trades on an exchange, like a stock. Most ... read more
- ISHARES STOXX EUROPE MID 200 UCITS ETF (DE) | ETF | 593399 | DE0005933998 | finanzen.netISHARES STOXX EUROPE MID 200 UCITS ETF (DE) | ETF | 593399 | DE0005933998 | finanzen.net ... read more
- Largest U.S. university endowment funds pull back on ETF exposureNEW YORK (Reuters) - The largest U.S. college endowment funds are pulling back their holdings of exchange-traded funds even as they invest more money in ... read more
- Exclusive: Macquarie to enter U.S ETF market making business(Reuters) - Australia’s Macquarie Group (MQG.AX) is entering the U.S exchange-traded fund market making business, officials told Reuters in an interview. ... read more
- An ETF That’s an Ideal Bond SubstituteLearn the ins and outs of "target maturity" exchange-traded funds. ... read more
- An Overlooked ETF For Rising Interest RatesThe Federal Reserve boosted interest rates three times in 2017 and expectations are in place for further tightening in 2018. Rising interest rates could plague ... read more
- Is a Bitcoin ETF a Good Investment?Main Street investors will need to wait longer to find out after the SEC rejects the proposed exchange-traded fund. ... read more
- LYXOR ETF MSCI EMERGING MARKETS – C-EUR | ETF | LYX0BX | FR0010429068 | finanzen.netLYXOR ETF MSCI EMERGING MARKETS - C-EUR | ETF | LYX0BX | FR0010429068 | finanzen.net ... read more
- ETF SWING & DAY TRADING Post # 78970ETF SWING & DAY TRADING Post # 78970 ... read more
- ICE Exchange Unit Seeking to List Bitcoin Futures ETF – CoinDeskNYSE Arca has filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) for a proposed rule change that would allow for the listing of two ... read more
- Stock Market Today: Nasdaq Up; Can This Bitcoin ETF Top 2,500? Buy Or Pass On These 3 New IPOs? | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis – IBDOne day after the Federal Reserve raised short-term interest rates for the third time this year, big-cap techs helped hoist the Nasdaq composite mildly higher ... read more
- Apple Leads Nasdaq Stocks Up; Is This The Best Bitcoin ETF To Trade? | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis – IBDDow Jones industrial average component Apple (AAPL) posted its biggest gain in more than a month, gaining 1.9% to 172.61 in brisk volume and reaffirming ... read more
- Investors betting on electric cars pour millions into lithium ETFInvestors betting on electric cars pour millions into lithium ETF ... read more
- Should You Buy A Dividend ETF Or Manage Your Own Portfolio Of Individual Dividend Stocks?Should You Buy A Dividend ETF Or Manage Your Own Portfolio Of Individual Dividend Stocks? ... read more
- Will The MAGA ETF Make Your Portfolio Great?Will The MAGA ETF Make Your Portfolio Great? ... read more
- How Does Fidelity’s New Core Dividend ETF Stack Up To Its Peers?How Does Fidelity's New Core Dividend ETF Stack Up To Its Peers? ... read more
- How T+2 Settlement Affects ETF InvestorsHow T+2 Settlement Affects ETF Investors ... read more
- An Active Short-Only ETF – Focus On Bad Stocks, Not The Whole MarketAn Active Short-Only ETF - Focus On Bad Stocks, Not The Whole Market ... read more
- The Best Utility ETF For The Retiree: How To Get A 7% Return Or BetterThe Best Utility ETF For The Retiree: How To Get A 7% Return Or Better ... read more
- Shorting Leveraged ETF Pairs: Easier Said Than DoneShorting Leveraged ETF Pairs: Easier Said Than Done ... read more
- SPYB: This Buyback ETF Doesn’t Pan OutSPYB: This Buyback ETF Doesn't Pan Out ... read more
- Choosing An ETF For Your Portfolio Made Easy: Ace The Art With Expert AdviceThere's a way to eat spaghetti with less mess and it involves a spoon, or if you're from the old country, an artful twirl with the ... read more
- This Tech ETF With Less In Apple And Alphabet Is Better Off For ItMajor ETFs flexed higher Wednesday as surging semiconductor and technology stocks lifted the stock market to a fresh all-time high. ... read more
- Telecom ETF Rides Success Of Major Wireless CarriersWith only about 20 stocks in its portfolio, iShares U.S. Telecommunications (IYZ) is not as well-diversified as most ETFs. ... read more
- This ETF Is A Long-Term Growth Play On Tesla And Lithium BatteriesTesla charged up this week after billionaire investor Ron Baron said the maker of electric cars could become one of the biggest companies in the ... read more